Saturday, April 24, 2010

Christian's Epiphany

When Justin turned 6 months old, I decided it was time to get Christian potty trained. I wasn't feeding the baby as often at that point, so I had more time to spend in the bathroom with Christian. As soon as we discovered that Christian was a "stander-upper" instead of a "sitter-downer" like Grant was, he was staying dry most of the time. A "Dry Days" chart worked really well for Christian. As soon as he got so many stickers on his chart, he was allowed to pick out a new (but inexpensive) toy from the store. Although staying dry most days, Christian was still having trouble with going "number 2" in his pants. I made a new chart called "Christian's Poo-Poo Chart", but the only stickers on it were from the couple of times that I caught him just about to do his business and rushed him to the bathroom just in time. Most other times I just had to clean up the mess and change his underwear, all the while reminding him that poo-poo goes in the potty not in his underwear.

And so it went for a couple of months (what seemed like an eternity) until 2 weeks ago. Christian told me that he had to go to the bathroom - I assumed he just had to go pee-pee, but a few minutes later I heard him shouting with joy, "Mommy, I made poo-poo!" I hurried in to verify this fact and congratulate (and wipe) him. Indeed, he had gone poo-poo in the potty all by himself! As I was helping him put his pants back on, he looked up at me and said (like it was a new and profound idea), "Poo-poo goes in the potty and not in my underwear." I said, "Yes, that's right" (while in my mind wondering how many times I had said this exact same thing to him over the past few months). Well, no matter now...it was like his own personal bit of revelation. Christian hasn't had a single accident since his epiphany (knock on wood).
~Andi

5 comments:

  1. Lol Go Christian!!!!!!!! Aunt Sarah is proud that you finally figured it out

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, they have to figure it out for themselves. And then it's glorious! We've been diaper bag free for a year and a half. It's so great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrates Christian...Thats wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YEAH for Christian!! When need that same inspiration in our house. ~SIGH~ I Totally understand how big of a thing this is. I hope I don't have to wait 4 more months. I might not have any hair by then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two down, one to go! Miss my boys....I'm gonna have to come down before Justin's birthday.

    ReplyDelete